What is the Best E-Commerce CMS for You?
A Guide to Choosing the Right E-Commerce Platform
We are often asked to consult our clients on the right CMS software to build on top of before designing an e-commerce site. Because each client’s needs, business, industry and resources are often different there are a number of questions we need to ask and an evaluation process taken before we can fully answer the question of “What E-commerce Solution is Best for Me”.
It’s important to note that there are two main categories of CMS systems; Hosted and Self-hosted. The following article breaks down the difference of both types of systems, provides pros and cons to each, and provides a list of popular platforms for each type of system. A client will fall under one of these two categories. After determining which category is best for you, it then time for you to determine which CMS will work best for you. This will depend no the types of features you believe you will need to be successful. After defining your needs, consult with a rep from each company and determine based on your analysis which is right for you.
Hire Space Chimp elite freelancers for you E-commerce Web Design today.
Hosted E-Commerce CMS
Defined: Hosted CMS – A Content Management platform hosted by the software provider.
- Lower development costs.
- Customer service to help answer questions about the CMS.
- Good for beginners.
- Easy integration to included 3rd party software.
- Quicker to market.
- Usually less design customization available
- Does not allow for custom software development most of the time
- Not very scalable
- You can’t integrate with unsupported software.
- If the hosted CMS server goes down there is nothing you can do about it.
Popular Hosted CMS
Self-Hosted E-Commerce CMS
Defined: Self-hosted CMS – A Content Management platform that you download and host on your own hosting account.
- 100% control over your code and design
- Completely scalable
- Good for more advanced teams
- Slower to market
- In full control of server up times.
- You can integrate with any software and API you can imagine.
- You’re only limited by your imagination
- Higher development costs.
- Doesn’t include technical support.
- Unreliability of 3rd party extensions/plugins
Popular Self-hosted CMS
- Magento – Community/Enterprise Edition
- WordPress – Woocommerce
- Joomla – Virtuemart
- Drupal – Ubercart
After reviewing this outline you should have a good understanding of both CMS categories and the pros and cons of both. Now its up to you to do the leg work to figure out what CMS is right for you. Don’t have the time? Sign up to hire an elite E-commerce website designer.
Did we forget something? We want to hear from you.